Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Chocolate Mint Recovery Shake (see it on YouTube under TheKitchenVixen)

July 25, 2007

On Monday, July 23rd, I posted my first video to the web. If I am ever going to have the cooking show of my dreams, I have to fully put it out there, right? So far, only 15 people have viewed it. I haven’t told my friends about it yet because I want to see what happens when you just “put it out there”.

In this video I am making my most favorite dietary staple which I call my “Chocolate Mint Recover Shake”. So named because it is made with chocolate mint leaves and it is what I drink to recover from my workouts. Well, if you see the video this will all be apparent.

I created this recipe as I do with most, out of necessity to nourish my body the best way possible using what is given to me at that time. In this instance, while living and working in Vegas, I was given a bunch of chocolate mint leaves from a fellow dietitian who had lovingly grown them in her very own herb garden. She had more than she could use so she brought them to work along with some regular mint and some other herbs. I always get to work latter than my fellow coworkers because I like to take the mornings to exercise and/or write. Today is a day like that but I chose to write and give my body a rest. Yesterday as I walked the length of beach in Santa Monica, my heavy legs predicted this would happen. My legs where fatigued and I knew that today my body would say, “No, way.” So I’ve spent the morning resting and writing. Alas, soon I will have to go to work.

On the day the chocolate mint leaves came into my life, I believe it was fate. I got to work long after everyone else. All the other herbs where gone but the chocolate mint leaves just lay there waiting for a home, waiting for me. I had never heard of them let alone tasted them. I picked them up and smelled them first. Mmmm, so minty with just a hint of chocolate, or perhaps that was subliminal because I knew they where “chocolate” mint. None-the-less, they did have a powerful minty smell. I could not wait to get home and ‘apply’ them in some way. Yes, when I think of food, and ingredients and such, I think in scientific terms. I don’t merely create recipes, I formulate by “applying” the ingredients for their nutritional attributes. I was curious to see what mint had to offer besides the wonderful tastes and smells.
All that information lay await at home so all I could do all day was to think about what other ingredients I already had to combine with my new found chocolate mint friend. Well, at the time I was on this polenta kick. I still kind of am. Over a year later and I still get a hankering for polenta. I am no where near being a Mexican and I grew up on the East Coast where there was not a strong Mexican population but for some reason I find the greatest comfort in their food. In fact, before I left Las Vegas, the staff at my job made me tamales for my going away party. I was in heaven. But, getting back to my leaves...I had polenta and wanted to use it with the chocolate mint leaves. I also had some dark chocolate and maple syrup so I do recall creating a baked polenta dish with those ingredients. I did not save a recipe but this weekend I created another polenta dish so I will insert that one at some point and then also show how some ingredients could be substituted to recreate my chocolate mint polenta. Suffice it to say, this dish was like a chocolate mint bread pudding. I let it solidify, as polenta often dose, so it could be eaten with a spoon or a fork.

I have been following a primarily vegetarian diet for the past two years while off and on consuming some fish and very rarely, some chicken. I prefer vegetables, grains, and beans to most other foods so I decided to create a shake that would help me stay within my preferred food groups while giving me the protein I need for optimal recovery after exercise. The shake I make with soy milk, a bean source, the mint leaves are green, a vegetable, and the chocolate, well, it is my drug of choice. At first I was using real dark chocolate but decided to switch to cocoa because it contains a higher concentration of antioxidants known as epicatechins; a class of antioxidants like those found in tea, red wine, grapes, and apples.
These Catechins are powerful disease fighters that help to squelch free radicals. Free radicals are primarily unstable oxygen molecules which we breathe in everyday. They are unstable because they are missing an electron. We are exposed to more and more of these unstable oxygen molecules everyday because of environmental pollutants such as car exhaust, chemicals, stress, pesticides, etc. These free radical oxygen molecules don’t really want to be ‘radical’, they want to be stable but the only way they know to become stable is to 'steal' an electron from a cell. Once that cell has lost an electron, it too may become unstable and one of these cells might be a potential cancer cell, or an LDL cholesterol (the less desirable kind). These cancer and cholesterol cells then lead to disease. So, you can see what a nightmare this could all be if we don’t try to stop free radicals in their tracks. Enter, the Antioxidants, a large group of cell defenders numbering in the hundreds. This strong force can step in the way of any free radical, risk its life by donating an electron and still be none the worse the for wear. In other words, Antioxidants take a licking and keep on ticking. They are the Bomb!

Every plant food contains an Antioxidant or two so the more we eat the more the antioxidant foes will retreat. Knowing this means that when I am given a locally grown plant, grown by someone I know, I am going to use every bit of it as much and as often as I can. FYI: mint leaves are rich in a class of antioxidants called Monoterpenes which actually act like bug repellents for the plants while they are growing but in us, these repellents may help us repel certain types of cancers. Kind of cool, I think, cool and minty, Ahhhh. Oh, and the mint is also rich in something called rosmarinic acid which helps to stimulate anti-inflammatory pathways in the body. Most chronic diseases are derived from chronic inflammation.
Inflammation is a defense system for the body to protect it so it can heal after an injury, but if our bodies are always in defense mode, well, that is stressful and can lead to chronic disease. We need to also elicit the anti-inflammatory processes to give our bodies the rest they need. I liken it to the air bag in your car. When it deploys after an accident you can’t drive your car until it has been put back in its place. Same with chronic inflammation, eventually, you won’t be able to ‘drive’ your body. Eat those anti-inflammatories now for better driving tomorrow. After exercise your body becomes inflamed to help the muscles heal from the beating they just underwent. Again, we don’t want the inflammation to last forever so ‘natural’ anti-inflammatories post-exercise will ensure that you can take a licking and keep on ticking tomorrow and the next day and so on.

So without further delay, I present my Chocolate Mint Recovery Shake Recipe below.

Chocolate Mint Recovery Shake

1 cup soy milk or milk of your choice (preferably organic)
6-8 ice cubes (3/4 oz of fluid per cube = 4.5 – 6 oz for 6-8 cubes)
1 Tbsp unsweetened Organic cocoa powder (rich in Catechins; powerful cancer fighters like in tea)
6 stems fresh mint leaves (about 5 leaves per bunch = 30 leaves total) Chocolate mint leaves are best
½ cup protein powder such as Whey (a ‘scoop’ or serving per container should give you 20-25g protein)
For a less expensive more whole food version try Nonfat dry milk powder instead; offers 12g protein per & 18g carbs but the same calories overall as the Whey Protein Powder. There are also Pea & Brown rice protein powders made by two different companies; Nature Made & Nature’s Way. These are Vegan protein sources.)
1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses (adds Calcium Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Selenium, & Potassium)

Pour the soy milk in the blender.
Add half ice cubes.
Throw in the powdered stuff
Add the molasses
Blend
Gradually add more ice or liquid as needed to reach a milkshake consistency
Pour into a “real” glass
Pour some in a jar or bowl to freeze and enjoy later. Will be ‘slushy’ after 2-3 hours
Once it has frozen solid or slushy, you can eat it with a spoon like you would eat ice cream but for a fraction of the calories and a plethora of nutrients.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size ~2 cups (16 oz: 456g)
Servings Per Container 1
Amount per Serving
Calories 260 Calories from Fat 50
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 6g 8%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 180mg 8%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g 8%
Dietary Fiber 6g 24%
Sugars 9g
Protein 33g
Vitamin A 10% · Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 25% · Iron 35%
*


A good source of B-vitamins, having greater than 40% for all the B’s. An excellent source of all of the major minerals. Contains 20-30% of the Daily Value (DV) for Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, & Potassium. Also a good source of Phosphorus, Selenium and Zinc. If you use fortified soy milk, you will receive an excellent source of B12 (50% DV) & Vitamin D, if not, then get your 15 minute dose of daily sunlight on your hands. This is how your body makes its own vitamin D for the day.

VARIATION: You can use frozen fruit in place of the molasses and ice. Try ½ of a frozen banana and keep all the other ingredients. But by omitting the molasses, you also cut out many of the essential minerals such as iron, calcium magnesium and potassium. So if you need a little sweetness, add a teaspoon of molasses. If you decide you don’t want chocolate then omit the cocoa and add fresh or frozen fruit (1/2 cup). You can also use 1 cup of yogurt in place of the soy milk which will boost the protein by 8g and add some beneficial bacteria. The only downfall is that you should not freeze this shake as it will kill off the good bacteria.

No comments: